Wednesday, July 13, 2005

NOSTALGIA TIME! Part 2

(Note: Here's some writing from what I titled the "Cheesy Promo Insert" mailed out with media copies of my 2001 CD, Never. Instead of the typical "(insert artist here) is a gifted and talented prodigy whose music is reminiscent of (insert famous people here)", there's some notes on what makes me "tick" as a musician. At least one writer needed his diaper changed after reading it, and tried to "git back at me real good" with a pathetic attempt to undermine my statements. Most folks seemed to appreciate what I was saying, so here's the original rant for posterity's sake.)

Here's my basic philosophy. Music is played for enjoyment, not profit. I enjoy what I write and record. Elitists and haters can suck my ass.

I envision a future where musicians, visual artists, and anyone creative can participate in a world free of monopolistically imposed limitations, overly pasteurized cultural standards, and financially inspired works. I would love to be able to know that somebody can go out in the vicinity of their town here in America and find entertainment and information being distributed and presented in an honest and genuine manner, with people more obsessed with the heart, guts and soul of the stuff shared than the dumb-ass bottom line of the profit margin. I would like to see people help each other when it's really real and not because their egos need a good jerk-off or they expect something in return. Likewise, I'd like to see less folks sitting around consuming and THINKING about creating something they can share with the world, rather than what they can get for the least amount of exchange.

Fuck using the famed description for television- it's the music industry that has become the true vast wasteland. Consider the terminology itself- "music industry", "entertainment industry"; what if someone started using the term "art industry"? It would be quickly reduced to describe the likes of Velvet Elvises, Big Eyed Cats In Alleyways, and Dogs Playing Poker. Why isn't the same cynicism used to dismiss the hacks and quick-buck scammers who stink up today's airwaves and record store racks? One could argue that people buy the shit, so obviously they prefer and enjoy the shit. But really- prefer it in comparison to what? Enjoy it, or convince themselves that they enjoy it because some media Gestapo figure told them to?

Don't like my music? Fine. Create something that speaks out of YOU. I can respect that. But don't put me beneath some disposable boy group, trend-mongering hanger-on, or theory-drunk soul-killing "real" musician. You're only bullshitting and being unfair to YOURSELF.