Thursday, April 23, 2009

HEY, YAHOO! IT WAS ONLY A JOKE.

You know, it's kind of hard to believe that michaelpsycho.com is already turning a year old. It seems like just yesterday that I shuttered my long-obsolete and useless Geocities location and finally got up on my own two feet.

When I removed all of my shit from the Geocities site, besides a link to my new home on the Web, I left a brief parting shot:

I moved. There's nothing here. It's a brave new world. Geocities can shut down now.

Little did I ever think that, in just under a year, Yahoo would pay heed to my advice. Geocities is finally going up to that Wayback Machine in the sky.

I could easily join the chorus of voices that are already putting in one last dig at Geocities, but I won't because, for starters it gave me the opportunity to experiment early on with what would work and what wouldn't in establishing my own Web presence, and second of all, most of those people are assholes and I don't want to be lumped in with them.

Here is the Washington Post's account of the decline and fall of Geocities (Which somehow kept its unique visitor count above 10 million even towards the end). Click Here, Pilgrim.