Saturday, September 22, 2007

Okay, I'll admit it. I can't wait to see the new Ken Burns documentary series, "The War."

As someone whose father's job in his teens was blowing kamikaze pilots out of the air before they crashed into the ships in his area, I have a sort of personal interest. And I also know firsthand from the stories of an actual World War II combat veteran that there was a different level of character to people back then, a different level of perseverance. Laymen's translation: they could put up with a lot more shit than much of today's middle class society in general.

And another thought I've had in passing: if the mentality of today's so-called leaders, both civilian and military, was the same after the 9/11 attacks as folks of the WWII generation, I've got more than just a hunch that Saudi Arabia would be a flat floor of ashes right now. Not like I would have wanted that to happen, but at least there would be some crumb of logic to be found in the strategy.

(And if you think that I'm whacked to make the latter statements, some Establishment Media sources HAVE exhibited similar sentiments in the past.) For example: Click here, Pilgrim