Monday, August 11, 2008

THE MUNDANE MONTH OF BLOGGING™ - DAY 11



Ah yes, yet one more long drawn out Monday of overtime came and went. So, what do you like to do to unwind after a long day's work? Do you head over to the local bar and knock down a few cold ones? Do you decide you're not cooking tonight and treat yourself to some sushi or pizza or burritos or some shit like that? Do you head over to the local gym or fight club and work off the off-the-clock post work stress disorder that you've built up?

Well, in my case, after work today I decided to go postal. As in walk to the post office and pick up some stamps. Oh, sure, I could buy them in bulk instead of 4 at a time but with the rates going up, like, every other month it seems nowadays, it's probably just as well to keep purchases on a monthly basis. It's actually a silly little monthly ritual that I go through as I kind of like to take the walk over to the post office and enjoy the shade of 22nd. The errand results in a pleasant walk in some pretty nice tree lined streets which keep things manageable even in the windless and hotter parts of the Sacramento summertime.



I guess that I should feel fortunate to be living in a city with a six figure population, as we have these here post offices with modern day type conveniences like stamp machines that sell you stamps even if you just need one of em's!



You know what the best thing is about the stamp vending machines like the one which I use to purchase my monthly postage supply? It's the only vending machine that I know of which will accept pennies! So, if my pockets gradually fill up with nickel-and-dime chump change, instead of throwing it in a jar or letting it pile up on an end table at home, I just dump it all into the stamp machine! Now, why can't Corporate America follow the USPS example? Why the fuck can't they come up with soda and candy machines and the like that can do something as relatively facile as accepting pennies? Because they're money grubbing pigs, that's why! If they weren't so stubborn about taking nothing less than a nickel (and in many cases, quarters only) the whole stupid campaign to try to phase out the penny would make absolutely no fuckin' sense whatsoever! Not like it ever did anyway.

So that was my big recreational activity today. Now I have the means to mail my bills out on time and thumb my nose at all of the stupid assholes who are living beyond their means and ending up with a pile of debt clear up to their clavicles.

(IMPORTANT NOTE OF GUIDANCE: This post is but one in a series called THE MUNDANE MONTH OF BLOGGING™. For those of you who are scratching your head right now and saying to yourselves, "What the fuck is he trying to prove?", Click Here, Pilgrim)