Thursday, August 07, 2008

THE MUNDANE MONTH OF BLOGGING™ - DAY 7



The payday fairy visited me through direct deposit today. I must admit that it's nice to see the overtime pay on top of the regular. Too bad that the folks running the company think otherwise.

We have one on one meetings with our department manager, and naturally the subject of my overtime came up, and what are we going to do about it. Unfortunately the harsh truth of the matter is that if they (the managers and admin) want us (the workers) to get the stuff they need done on time, then we are going to have to stay for the extra time to get it done. In complete honesty, at this point in life especially, I find the time much more valuable than the money and would much rather be headed out the door after my eight hours and therefore have the day's remaining sixteen completely to myself.

Somehow the folks in the Department of Bright Ideas had the notion of being able to totally disregard the overall workload requirements of our department and butcher the staffing numbers of the people who are doing the actual work. Then, when the productivity slows down and the overtime piles up, they scratch their heads and wonder why we have to work so much. In an ideal world, I could at least have some sort of consolation in knowing that I wouldn't be shitcanned, since in the event of a layoff or an accepted buyout, they would have to make somebody else pick up all of my duties, and frankly, that ain't going to happen if the staffing is cut any further. Nowadays, I'm pretty sure, however, that they'd be ignorant enough to go ahead and do that anyway, so I'm planning to update my resume and start getting into the habit of perusing the want ads.



(IMPORTANT NOTE OF GUIDANCE: This post is but one in a series called THE MUNDANE MONTH OF BLOGGING™. For those of you who are scratching your head right now and saying to yourselves, "What the fuck is he trying to prove?", Click Here, Pilgrim)